Monday, June 4, 2012

King of My Heart and Color Page


I didn't sleep well last night and so this morning when the alarm went off at 5 a.m. I thought I'd just go back to sleep after my husband left for work.  God has his ways however and he convicted me of not paying enough attention to him.  After all it is June and He keeps reminding me this is the month of His Sacred Heart.  "What was I gonna do about it?" He kept asking me.  When I first started my blog, He gave me the idea that I should write about many things including His Sacred Heart, especially the Enthronement of the Sacred Heart.  So today I will tell you more about the Enthronement Celebration we did in our home (that I spoke of a while back in  this  post).  I have made a color page and I will show you a fun project

to help celebrate your Consecration to the Divine Heart of Jesus.  I will also tell you about a wonderful book I read about Saint Margaret Mary.

First of all you should know that one of the Twelve Promises of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is as follows:

"Those who propagate this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart never to be blotted out."

That's pretty exciting I think!   So I will do my best to live up to receiving the Grace of that Promise!

Before my husband and I were ever married, we knew we would have the  Enthronement of the Sacred Heart done in our home sometime in the first year of our marriage.  We knew because one Sunday our parish priest spoke about the Enthronement and we had recently read about it in a Catholic newspaper.  We knew we wanted to make Jesus King of our hearts.   My husband had a large print of the Sacred Heart and also one of the Immaculate Heart.  They were still wrapped in plastic.  They had never been framed.  We made a decision that since we were going to be married, we should should start things out right and have these prints framed and schedule to have the Enthronement ceremony.  

June of 1997 was a busy month for us.  We were married in June and so we did not have the opportunity to have the ceremony then.  But our parish priest suggested that we have a grand celebration on the Feast of Christ the King.  (The Feast of Christ the King is a movable feast and this year (2012) it will be celebrated on November 25.)  We decided to have a huge ceremony inviting everyone from our church parish and all of our family and friends.  Well, our family couldn't be us and so we had little Sacred Heart holy cards printed up for the occasion and we wrote their names on them and placed them on a table with cake dedicated to Christ the King.  It was a wonderful event and to prepare ourselves for it, we did a nine day novena to The Sacred Heart.  For nine days we prayed the Litany of the Sacred Heart:

LITANY OF THE SACRED HEART

V. Lord, have mercy on us.
R. Christ, have mercy on us.
V. Lord, have mercy on us. Christ, hear us.
R. Christ, graciously hear us.
V. God the Father of Heaven, have mercy on us.
God the Son, Redeemer of the world, have mercy on us.
God the Holy Spirit, have mercy on us.
Holy Trinity, one God, have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, Son of the Eternal Father, have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, formed by the Holy Spirit in the Virgin Mother's womb, [etc.]
Heart of Jesus, substantially united to the Word of God.
Heart of Jesus, of infinite majesty.
Heart of Jesus, holy temple of God.
Heart of Jesus, tabernacle of the Most High.
Heart of Jesus, house of God and gate of heaven.
Heart of Jesus, glowing furnace of charity.
Heart of Jesus, vessel of justice and love.
Heart of Jesus, full of goodness and love.
Heart of Jesus, abyss of all virtues.
Heart of Jesus, most worthy of all praise.
Heart of Jesus, King and center of all hearts.
Heart of Jesus, in whom are all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
Heart of Jesus, in whom dwells all the fullness of the Godhead.
Heart of Jesus, in whom the Father was well pleased.
Heart of Jesus, of whose fullness we have all received.
Heart of Jesus, desire of the everlasting hills.
Heart of Jesus, patient and rich in mercy.
Heart of Jesus, rich to all who call upon You.
Heart of Jesus, fount of life and holiness.
Heart of Jesus, propitiation for our offenses.
Heart of Jesus, overwhelmed with reproaches.
Heart of Jesus, bruised for our iniquities.
Heart of Jesus, obedient even unto death.
Heart of Jesus, pierced with a lance.
Heart of Jesus, source of all consolation.
Heart of Jesus, our life and resurrection.
Heart of Jesus, our peace and reconciliation.
Heart of Jesus, victim for our sins.
Heart of Jesus, salvation of those who hope in You.
Heart of Jesus, hope of those who die in You.
Heart of Jesus, delight of all saints.
V. Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world,
R. spare us, O Lord.
V. Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world,
R. graciously hear us, O Lord.
V. Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world,
R. have mercy on us.
V. Jesus, meek and humble of Heart,
R. Make our hearts like unto Thine.
Let us pray.
Almighty and eternal God, look upon the Heart of Thy most beloved Son and upon the praises and satisfaction which He offers Thee in the name of sinners; and to those who implore Thy mercy, in Thy great goodness, grant forgiveness in the name of the same Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who livest and reignest with Thee forever and ever. Amen.

**********************************************************************************

We have had the Enthronement of the Sacred Heart done twice in our home.  I regret that I don't have photos of the original Enthronement.  It was a lovely occasion, though.  That first time we had the Enthronement in our home we all walked down to the park for food and fun afterwards.  A thoughtful friend offered to buy a large sheet cake for us.  Others brought fried chicken and potato salad.  The day was warm because we lived in Southern California where even the winters are very mild.  We gave out prizes such as Holy Water fonts
and little candy sachets tied with ribbons and a holy card and filled with Jordan almonds.  

Our "new" home was blessed by F.r. K.  This was a blessing in itself.  It was a joyful occasion.  I made "door" prizes for each family.  I purchased a large bouquet of flowers and divided it up into smaller bouquets; each having its own vase (purchased at a thrift store).  I tied a "King of My Heart"or "Queen of my Heart" holy card that I had made to each vase of flowers.  F r K celebrated mass first at his own home and then we came back to our home for the blessing.  Afterwards we settled down for a lunch of prime rib roast (cooked in the crock pot) and delicious bottle of wine, cheese, and a salad.  We enjoyed happy conversation and coaxed F r K to have dessert with us.  

To learn more about the Enthronement of the Sacred Heart visit this wonderful website:
http://www.sacredheartapostolate.com/Enthronements.shtml  To purchase some great books to assist you with your devotion to the Sacred Heart, visit TAN Books at

Here are the instructions on how to make the King of My Heart and Queen of My Heart holy cards.  (Color page follows.)

KING OF MY HEART HOLY CARD PROJECT


To make the King and Queen of My Heart holy cards you will need:
A pack of cards. 

In the weeks preceding our home blessing (Enthronement), I went to garage sales and thrift shops to find inexpensive decks of cards.  I don't think I paid more than 50 cents per pack and sometimes I got them for much less.  Three packs yielded 6 holy cards when I was finished.

I carefully checked the packs to make sure there was a king and queen of hearts in each before I bought them. 

For the project take out the king and queen of hearts playing cards.

Technically you can alter a king or queen of diamonds by placing a heart sticker over the red diamond. 

Or you could cut out a red heart from say a four of hearts card and glue it over the diamond.  I've not tried that, but it might work.  It is fun to be creative with this.  And it saves a bit of money if you are making lots of cards.

Next, cut out the rectangular area of a card you aren't using such as the Jack of clubs.  You will use this as a template.

You will now need some inexpensive paper holy cards of the Sacred Heart and the Immaculate Heart.  You could use images from old calendars or vintage holy cards or pictures from Catholic magazines. 

You might also use this image that I have scanned. (Save it to your computer.)  It is very old and most likely has an expired copyright if there ever was one.  When printing you will likely need to re size this so it will be small.  I tried to re size it myself, but I didn't have any luck.
When you have selected an image or holy card.  Use the Jack of clubs template you just made and center it over the image so that what you cut out has the face of Jesus or Mary as well as the Sacred Heart or Immaculate heart.
Trace around template with a pencil and cut out image.  Glue or use double sided tape to attach image onto playing card.
Add glitter and gems to decorate if desired.


You can glue a prayer on the back.  Here are some prayers to obtain graces:

Jesus meek and humble of Heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Sacred Heart of Jesus, Thy kingdom come!

Immaculate Heart of Mary, Pray for us now and at the hour of our death.

Here is a color page of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. 
You can print this page HERE.

You can read about the 12 Promises of the Sacred Heart by clicking here and see the Stained Glass Sacred Heart and Immaculate Hearts color pages I made some time ago.  You can learn about the wonderful graces attached to doing the Nine First Friday here.  Another way to honor the Sacred Heart is by doing Holy Hours.  A friend gave us this book, 20 Holy Hours by Fr. Mateo Crawley-Boevey, SS.CC. which I think is out of print but you can find a used copy at www.amazon.com
This is a book I never loan out!  I don't want anyone to take it from me!  The meditations are so beautiful and they are suitable for making a holy hour either alone when you are with the Blessed Sacrament or at home with your family.

I learned how much I loved Saint Margaret Mary Alocoque when I read The Nun  by Margaret Trouncer. 
It's out of print I believe, but you can find copies excessively priced at www.amazon.com and if you find a less expensive copy in a bookstore, buy it because it really is worth its weight in gold!  Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque, whom Jesus appeared to and gave the 12 Promises of His Sacred Heart is my go-to saint when people fail me and life gets me down!  She is priceless!