Saturday, February 23, 2013

Widow's Mite Coloring Page (For the Feast of Saint Joseph)



Apparently Saint Joseph did not want me to get any sleep last night or rather this morning because I woke up thinking of a widow's mite coloring page and projects.   I was more awake than usual at 3 a.m.  I have done some of my best art work in the wee hours of the morning. This morning my mind was in overdrive wanting to get started on making a widow's mite coloring page.   I know.  It's rather neurotic! Hee! Hee!

Just in case you are wondering why I am connecting the widow's mite and Saint Joseph,  it is because the widow's mite is one of the symbol's typically found on a Saint Joseph's Altar and the Saint Joseph's Altar is all about doing our part in taking care of the less fortunate.  The Widow's Mite is a symbol of giving.  The Feast of Saint Joseph is approaching (March 19th) and the sooner we get started in preparation for the Feast of Saint Joseph, the more wonderful it will be.  If you haven't read my post about the Saint Joseph's Altar my sister and I and some wonderful folks made at Saint Joseph's Church in Detroit, you can read about it HERE.   One of the earliest Saint Joseph Altars that we made for our home was in 2001.  Here are a few Polaroids. (I had a Polaroid camera? LOL! I don't remember that!) (These are pretty sad pictures for the year 2001!)
It was very modest indeed, but I am sure Saint Joseph was happy with us for making the effort.  My husband gave me the Saint Joseph statue for Christmas early in our marriage.  I had seen it in our church bookstore.   Can you believe it was only $45?  It was cast (made) by a woman in the Sacramento area.  It stands 2 feet tall.

The widow's mite or lepton was the least valuable coin at the time of Christ.  It was minted from bronze, brass or copper during the reign of King Alexander Jannaeus (103-76 B.C.)  One side of the coin shows an upside down anchor or a lotus scepter of Ancient Egypt and the other side bears what appears to be a star with eight rays or the spokes of a wheel.  Doesn't the lotus or anchor make you think of Christianity? At the time of Christ, coins were very "rough" looking. The edges are not really round.  There was also a lepton of Pontius Pilate. On one side it bears a sacrificial ladle and the Greek words, "Tiberius Caesar year 16" and on the other there are three barley ears.

Here is the parable of the widow's mite found in Mark 12:41-44 (Luke 21:1-4 and John 8:20)

He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury; and He saw a poor widow put in two copper coins. And He said, "Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them; for they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all the living that she had."
 
Here is the  Widow's Mite Coloring Page that I made in preparation for the Feast of Saint Joseph.  Click HERE to print this coloring page.
 
 
I colored my widow's mite page with Crayola robin's egg blue, Crayola metallic copper, Staedtler #72 Dark Sand watercolor marker and a Crayola Black licorice marker.  Yep, the widow's mite words smell like licorice! (and W at the beginning of the word "widow" has been corrected since I posted this photo).

You can visit a Virtual Saint Joseph's Altar HERE.  For wonderful inspiration with gazillions of photos of Saint Joseph's Altars, consider purchasing Kerri McCaffety's book, St. Joseph Altars on Amazon.com  Here's a photo of two pages from the book.
Be looking for my next post in which we will make a widow's mite to place on our Saint Joseph's Altars.