Friday, January 15, 2016

Last Year (2015) and a Fun DIY Recycling Project


I haven't posted in ages!  I haven't had time to make coloring pages lately.  Instead I am doing art commissions and gifts of art for family and friends.   I look forward to the day when I can get back to the fun of coloring page art.

As I reflect on 2015, I have to say it was a very good year!  There was all of the usual turmoil that happened, but everything had a happy ending.

Our kitty, Abigail passed away,  That was terribly sad.  She had diabetes and kidney failure.  I learned a lot in this experience.  We had gotten her diabetes under control using Wellness brand grain free cat food (turkey and salmon flavor seems to have the right proportions of protein and phosphorus and other nutrients).  She was thriving until one day I took her in for a check up.  Her vet insisted that I put her on a prescription, low protein diet for her kidneys.  So I did and she promptly became diabetic again.  We could never could her blood sugar under control again.  Very sad.  But I learned something:  always leave well enough alone!  Ah well.  I do have sweet memories of her. 

For Christmas we got a new kitty who is a delight!  She's just a kitten...not quite 2 years old.  She gets into everything.  Yesterday she pulled all the paper work out of our stackable file system.  It was hilarious or at least I thought so!  Today she trapezed onto another stackable file on top of the desk.  It fell to the floor but she was unscathed.


One of my cousins passed away in December.  But he received the Last Rites.  So that was a comfort.

I received a healing from some emotional wounds through the Blessed Sacrament.
Thank you Jesus!

We threw my mom an 80th birthday party and invited 150 of her favorite family and friends.  It was a huge success!

I was able to venerate the relics of the Saint of Mercy, Saint Maria Goretti.

My husband and I took a three week trip across the United States.  I got to see family and friends that I don't see for years at a time. 

Right off at the start of 2015, I was given a really huge art commission.  It's a private thing so I won't post it here. But a clue is that it has to do with my Catholic faith. I feel so honored to have been chosen.  I worked on this commission non-stop for more than half the year.  I asked the Blessed Mother to help me and she did.  She helped me to work steadily.
 
Here is a fun project for recycling old CD jewel cases and calendars.

I never knew what to do with my old rock and roll CD collection.  I never listen to them, but being a recycler, I had held onto them.  Here is what I did:   I removed the front and back paper music CD covers.

I kept them to use as templates later.  I dug up some old Catholic calendars that were collecting dust. They have such lovely pictures that I didn't want to trash them. 
I positioned the clear jewel case over the calendar picture that I wanted to use.  I marked the corners so I could get an idea of where to place the templates. 
I used the original CD photo for a template and traced around it so that it would fit into the CD jewel case.
I cut it out and slid it into the CD jewel case.  I put a small piece of tape on the back of the new front photo to hold it in place.  I also flattened out and flipped over the back of the original CD photo where the songs are listed.  I wrote a new title on the perforated part and bent it so it would fit inside out into the jewel case.

I then put the black CD holder back into place and put a new CD in its place.
My husband and I often download spiritual talks to listen to in the car.  These make perfect cases for those CDs.
Wasn't that fun!
 
 
Have a very blessed New Year!
 


5 comments:

  1. I was so happy to see your new post in my feed, Monica! And, glad to know everything is going well with you.

    I've been moving towards detachment, too. Thinking about 'tiny' rather than minimalist and trying to focus on simple priorities. The CD covers look great!

    God bless :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to see your comment Vicky! Yes, I agree that tiny is better than minimalist! I don't think an artist can really be a minimalist! Ha!

      Delete
  2. What a great year for you, Monica! And Fr. Ripperger's talks? I can't stop listening to them! That site is a spiritual gold mine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! I am so glad you are enjoying Fr. Ripperger's talks! Aren't they fabulous! I think he's got a talk on just about anything one could imagine!

      Delete
  3. They are great! Thank you so much for telling me about them!

    ReplyDelete