REST FOR THE WEARY! Two helpful prayers.

I haven't tried this yet, but today I came across something I really need:  a prayer to Jesus for rest and sleep.  It's the second prayer for sleep I have found.   I have adrenal fatigue really bad.  Most of the time I feel overwhelmed (a symptom).  It's mostly my own fault.  I do too much and I worry too much.  I take on too many responsibilities and I am always trying to solve problems and fix things instead of letting Jesus fix everything.  Over the last year (2016) many good things happened.  One was that I finally started getting some good, wonderful sleep.  I call it my delicious sleep because it really was that good.   I started praying a prayer called The Care of the Body and Soul prayer.  I got it from Fr. Ripperger (I download and listen to his talks on the spiritual life).  You can say it at the start of your day and at the end of your day.  It is most efficacious to pray it at bedtime so that your guardian angel can direct your dreams.  You can also pray this prayer for your children, friends and family.  Here is this prayer:

Care of the Body and Soul Prayer
 
Into thy hands Mary, I commend my body and my soul.  I ask thee to provide for them and to protect them.  I ask thee to protect them from the evil one.  I ask thee enlighten my mind, strengthen my will, and refrain my appetites by grace.  Our Lady and Saint Michael, call down from Heaven the Holy Legions of Angels under your command to protect me:  I ask of thee all the things I ask of my Guardian Angel.    My Guardian Angel, under thy intellectual and volitional protection I place my body.  I ask thee to illumine my mind and refrain my appetites.  I ask thee to strengthen my cognitive power, my memory and my imagination.  Help me to remember the things that I should and not to remember the things I should not. Help me to associate the things that I should and not to associate the things that I should not.  Give me good, clear images in my imagination.  I ask thee to drive away all demons that might affect me while I sleep (or throughout the course of this day).  (Help me to sleep and, if thou should deem it prudent, direct my dreams.  Help me to arise refreshed. ) Amen.
 
 
Last year I shared this prayer with a friend.  I think she has been praying this prayer and the other day she told me that over the last several weeks she has been dreaming of being at mass.  She said it is a wonderful dream and she feels the presence of God at mass in her dreams. 
 
Getting back to my own delicious, restful sleep, last summer at the end of August our home was robbed.  Not much was taken, but the police figured out who it was and so did we.  It's a woman I will refer to as "Betsy" and her boyfriend and their companions. 

There have been quite a number of robberies in our area.  The police believe they are interconnected.  In the last few months we have spent a lot of time going through our belongings trying to discover what was taken.  We have also made our home harder to break into and we have removed everything of value because we know they intend to come back.  In fact, on Thanksgiving morning around 4 a.m. we had another attempted break in. 

The stress of the robbery and then the second attempted break in has really made me feel weary and sleepless.  Where did my wonderful, delicious sleep go?

If I was tired before, I am over the mark now!  About a week ago I began to plead with God to help me get the rest that I need because I have so many responsibilities.
 
God has heard my prayer!  This morning I picked the book, The Life and Revelations of St. Gertrude:  Virgin and Abbess of the Order of Benedict.  I opened it up and randomly started reading on page 236.  Here, St. Gertrude is sick and can't listen to the sermon at mass and so Jesus tells her to lay her head on His heart and he gives her His own sermon.   I love this.  I imagined myself resting my own head on Jesus' heart.  I imagine feeling loved by Him.  I feel His peace. 
 On page 237 I found a prayer that Jesus gives St. Gertrude to help her sleep.  Here is that prayer:
 
 
Jesus' Prayer for Sleep
 
"I beseech Thee Most Merciful God, by the most tranquil sweetness with which Thou hast reposed from all eternity in the bosom of the Father, by Thy peaceful abode of nine months in the womb of a virgin, and by all the holy delights which Thou hast ever enjoyed in souls filled with Thy love, to grant me some rest, --not for my own satisfaction, but for Thy eternal glory,--in order that the strength of my wearied body may be restored, and that I may be able to fulfill my duties."
 
 
And that's really all I can ask for:  to be able to fulfill my duties! 
 
I was so excited to find this second prayer for a good night's sleep that I thought I would share it with you. 

 

 
 

Comments

  1. This is awful Monica. What an evil woman. Thank God you changed your locks. I hope in time you recover from this dreadful experience and your peace of mind is restored.Take care and may God please surround you with his white light of divine love and protection. Marion x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

POPULAR POSTS

Baby Jesus Christmas Cards and Coloring Pages

God Loves A Cheerful Giver Coloring Page

Song of the Swallows and Color Page

King of My Heart and Color Page

Child Jesus Valentine Coloring Page

Two Hearts, Stained Glass Windows and Color Pages

Widow's Mite Coloring Page (For the Feast of Saint Joseph)

Prayer to the Infant Jesus and Nativity Coloring Page